This is generally the response we've gotten when other parent friends find out that we don't use disposable diapers. And now, folks are asking how it's going, so here is my opinion based on our experience in 2.5 months (the rest of the time she didn't fit into them and wore preemie diapers).
- Pros: no quick trips to the store for diapers in a pinch, no excess of garbage and poop stinking up the garbage can, Harper stays drier because the liquid goes down into the pad underneath the first layer of flannel, they're super cute and come in all sorts of fun colors, we don't have to worry about living abroad and finding our favorite brand of diapers wherever we are...they're always with us, they're one size from 5-35 pounds (they have snaps that fold and stay snapped until the baby grows then you snap it on the next line-super convenient), you fork out the $$$ in the beginning and then end up saving SO MUCH MONEY by the time you're done diapering your kid.
- Cons: laundry every 2 days (which is fine if you have a smart machine like us that has our diaper setting programmed and it starts with the push of one button, but when we leave here, it will be more of a pain doing the 'wash cold-wash hot-double rinse-line dry'), piled up diapers in her bedroom waiting to be washed, spraying the #2s out, stuffing the diapers with the liner which I find to be a pain
Overall, I'm happy with these things, it was a hard switch from the disposables to the cloth once she grew into them but we had already made the investment and there was no turning back. We use BumGenius diapers so there isn't a little plastic pants to put over the diapers, it's all one piece. All we do is stuff them after being washed. If you're considering cloth diapers, talk to me and I'll convince you that you should!
Hmmm, had I known that cloth diapers could be easy I might've considered them but since I'm on my last baby I guess I'll stick with the disposable ones. :) Good for you!
ReplyDeleteThose sure don't look like the ones we wrapped Nathan's butt in for a couple of years. Those did made good rags once he was done with them.
ReplyDelete