She's here early...9 weeks early...Harper Elaine Doyel was born on November 11, 2010 in Guatemala City. I had an emergency c-section due to an infection and at 7:04pm, our precious babe was born! She is doing well, really well, considering being only 30 weeks old, but we realize we have a long journey ahead. We will make frequent updates on here with pictures and prayer requests. She's adorable, she's ours, and we are so happy that she is doing well.
Today is day 9 and Harper continues to amaze us. She's more alert and awake and they are taking tubes out one by one. Each day she tolerates more and more food which will help her to grow. They haven't weighed her again since her birth but we're assuming she's still around the same as when she was born. Her color has gotten a lot better and her skin is silky smooth. We have been reading to her which she seems to enjoy because she calms down and just holds on to our finger and listens. Yesterday while I was reading and Nate was holding on to her (not holding her yet, just putting his hand on her head and on her butt) she just laid there with her eyes open. She has completely stolen our hearts and we are so in love with her.
Our prayers continue to evolve as things continue to change, but right now we are:
- praising God for the steps that have already been made: off the ventilator, eating more each day, not showing signs of infection, breathing well, and going "poopis" (as they say in the hospital) on her own multiple times a day.
- asking God to protect her body from infection which they say is the next biggest risk. They are taking the tubes out of her belly button to avoid infection.
- asking that He make her lungs strong and developed to continue breathing independently
- praying that she make a full recovery to a 'normal' newborn-mentally, physically, and emotionally
If you would like to call us, we would love it. The number is 011-502-5704-2944 and if we don't answer, just leave a message and we'll call you back. We are visiting Harper two times a day around 10am and 7pm.
Again, thanks for all your support, we love you.
Nate, Laura, and Harper

Hey guys. Just discovered your blog. Sarah and I praying for little Harper - it's so great to see that she's making progress, will pray that she exceeds all the expectations of the Doctors to the glory of God.
ReplyDeleteTommy T
Laura,
ReplyDeleteIt's SO GOOD to hear your voice in email. I'm glad Nate has been keeping everyone in the loop, but I was so happy to "hear" you too! We're always praying--Noah's mom asked about Harper today--I was happy to be able to forward your most recent message. I love you tons! I'm so glad to hear things are going well. Love, Hil
She sounds like she is definitely a fighter!!! She is such a cute baby! Our family will continue to pray for Harper and you both as well. Laura I hope your recovery is going ok. Was it the infection that made the doctors take her early, or did you go into labor early? Thanks for updating, and I will continue to check back to see how Harper is doing!
ReplyDeleteHey Laura! Congrats on little Harper! Glad to hear things are going well (all things considered) and we will keep you and baby Harper in out thoughts and prayers. Thanks for the updates.
ReplyDelete