28 May 2010

Feels like Christmas morning



Why? Well, it's Friday morning and we're both home and still in our pajamas. Why are we home on a Friday? Our beloved Pacaya volcano erupted last night raining down ash onto the city (imagine a snow day, only black). So we're in the house with the windows and doors closed hanging out like we're on vacation. Nate made blueberry coffee cake which is why it seems like Christmas. On a sad note, my mom and dad were supposed to come today but their whole trip was cancelled because of this. While we're all mega bummed, we're thankful that a) they didn't get stuck in Houston or rerouted to El Salvador 2) got a full refund on their flight d) we got to cancel our hotel reservation for tomorrow at the hotel that has a 'no cancellation' policy and 6) we have a free day off.

They've declared a state of emergency in Guatemala for 15 days, but we're not sure what that means. It's all sort of exciting, but I'm still sad that my folks couldn't make it.

3 comments:

  1. Are you kidding?! That' crazy!!!! I am sorry your parents couldn't make it--I know you were looking forward to that. It sounds like you are in the middle of some seriously stuff--relax, have fun hanging out, and eat some good food--I guess whatever you have left in the house. And....we need to talk! Hope you're well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    I just read about the Agatha and the volcano in the news and had to bop right on over to see if you'd written about it. Sorry about your parents' trip; hopefully they'll get to reschedule?
    Shan

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHen we lived in Washington I was always worried Mt. Ranier was going to errupt and that Nathan's sister who lived in Puyallup at the time would be burried in ash. Luckily it never did. I'm glad you guys didn't get buried either. :)

    ReplyDelete