30 May 2010

Hurricane Agatha

So we had MASSIVE MASSIVE rains last night and pretty much all day from this Hurricane Agatha. It has hit the coast, but I guess we're getting the remnants of it. When I woke up this morning, the river at the bottom of the canyon which is usually dry was raging and I noticed a tree that normally is in the middle of the garden area had no grass around it. After a further look from the balcony, I saw that the whole backyard which is 3 terraced levels was a LANDSLIDE into the canyon!!! gone! treehouse and swings-gone. trees-gone. plants-gone!!!! So I went upstairs to ask them about the building and if it was going to landslide too (if so I'm moving) and he said that it is set in concrete, the garden was only supported by the bricks you see above. I'll just hope he knows what he's talking about. As if the maintenance people here don't have enough to worry about with cleaning up volcanic ash, now they have to figure out how to remake a backyard out of a landslide.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura! I prayed for you and Nathan when I heard about the landslides. I'm glad you are both ok! We miss you guys but are so glad you're doing well and settling fully into life there. Are you going to be passing through DC this summer at all?

    Sunita

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary!!! I can't imagine waking up to that. Glad you guys are okay!

    ReplyDelete