14 March 2010

Just living life

Closing in on 6 months living in Guatemala I have to say that things are really pretty normal now. We're in the swing of our jobs, which we both love, we have friends, a routine, a gym membership, and have taken a few pretty great vacations. I guess now life is just normal now but living in a new country. There are still things that are strange about this place: how the roads are sort of a mess but everything seems to flow, or how carbon paper is still used on a regular basis (when was the last time you even SAW carbon paper?), or just realizing how weird it is that we have a housekeeper and it's totally normal. But really, we're happy here, we like all the things that we do and even though there are inconveniences, we don't have much to complain about. The things we do complain about are luxury complaints like, "I hate it when the housekeeper cuts the pineapple this small!" Or, "why can't the hot tub be hotter?" Here are some pictures from things we've been doing in the past few months.




On an overnight hike to Volcano Santiaguito



Sweet Little Lupe



Constantly erupting Santiaguito



Nate looking tiny by Guatemala's national tree, the Ceiba



At Tikal, incredible Mayan ruins

4 comments:

  1. Laura, That volcano is awesome! Isn't that right outside of your house!? Miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous of your housekeeper! Glad to see you are enjoying your new home and country. My blog went private and I couldn't seen to find your email on facebook. Let me know and I will send you an invite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, thanks for the invite. It's a pretty hard email...lauradoyel@gmail.com.

    I like reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your housekeeper can come cut my pineapples too small any time! What a wonderful adventure your life has turned out to be!

    ReplyDelete