So I guess I'm in my last week of month four and am just starting to show a little. I am not ready to move to pants with elastic in the waist, so I always keep the top button unbuttoned, and lately, taking the less classy option of unzipping my zipper until comfortable. Maternity shirts seem to look good just because they're not short or tight (two things that I don't find appealing at the moment considering I look like I've eaten a few to many McFlurries). But, showing or not, here is a week 16 photo:
02 August 2010
Woman, 30, robbed of 4th month of pregnancy
How could that be? She just jumped from month 3 to 5? Well, almost. I have been spreading the rumor around the world that I was 3 months pregnant and that today would start month four. Well, after some counting and recounting and dreaming about it and waking up thinking about it and recounting and counting again, it is true, I went from thinking I'm four months today to the truth that month FIVE starts next Monday. So, I suppose my month four is one week long. If this sounds worrisome to you and you think that since I apparantly can't add and thus, I might not be a good mom (or kindergarten teacher at that), never fear, I will be good at both but counting this pregnancy stuff is confusing! It all starts with counting the gestation of the baby starting with the first day of your last menstrual cycle. And if you happen to not conceive until 3 weeks after that, then you're already considered pregnant! (That's confusing thing #1) Next, it turns out that pregnancy is actually 10 months long and that is just contrary to everything we've ever heard. (Confusing thing #2) And last, counting by weeks is just WAY easier, but no one wants to hear that I'm 17 weeks pregnant, they want to hear "Five months."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Back in the stone age when we only counted pregnancy by months we would say, "I am in my fourth month." That covers the whole month from first week to fourth week. It was a far less specific time of life.
ReplyDeleteThis is soooo funny! I love this..sorry I am responding late. You crack me up! :) We want to talk soon--Noah is taking the next couple days off--and of course we'll be around this weekend. My mom leaves tomorrow. How r u doing? I want to hear more about baby D! Love you!
ReplyDeleteHey who wouldn't want to skip a month in pregnancy?!? My dream is to go in to the doctor when I suspect I'm pregnant only to find out I'm already six months along. Too bad it's never happened. :) Try looping a rubber band through your button hole on your jeans and then looping it around your button. It keeps your pants from falling down when you're in that awkward in between phase and gives you a little more room.
ReplyDeleteLookin good! So when is your due date? End of November or December?
ReplyDeleteWell I guess I'm still confused, Jenny, due date is January 18th. Maybe it is still month four but not according to the book that I am reading each week. Cara, I had a friend who your dream actually happened to! She went to the dr. with suspicion of a 2nd baby on the way and she was 5 months pregnant! I do not understand how that can happen. Well, maybe now, BEING around that stage, maybe I do understand how you can just think you're putting on a couple of extra pounds and a little roundness in the middle. :)
ReplyDeleteLookin' good! :-) I can definitely see you are showing a bit now! I got robbed of my fourth month too somehow. I was three months pregnant and doing field work, followed right after by trip to Hawaii so forgot about counting because I was so busy... and then bam- I was on the heels of month six! I came out of the doctor's office and asked Paul, "How can this be?" and we hadn't done anything to start getting ready.
ReplyDeleteYou look so cute, Laura! I feel like your belly only sticks out a tiny bit more than mine, though, and i'm definitely not pregnant. I may need to hit those pilates classes soon...:-) Are people asking you? They may be afraid to ask yet...
ReplyDelete